Friday, March 9, 2012

Paper Cranes

While on the train this morning... running incredibly late to work, a older women sat next to me.

She was Asian, I'm not exactly sure what nationality.
She sat down and got herself comfortable before the train took off.
Immediately I noticed a small piece of paper in her hands, it looked like the back of a receipt.
She adjusted herself before she began folding the tiny piece of paper.
It didn't take me long to recognize the origami figure as a paper crane.
*This is because in elementary school we read a book titled Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr. We then had to make a thousand paper cranes... I can do it in my sleep now.

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

This tiny, frail women had such strong hands. They asserted themselves over this small paper to create a beautiful shape. The receipt went from nothing to something and it was given new life.
As I sat there and watched this women (from the corner of my eye of course because head on would have been very creepy) I felt the strong urge to take her hands and press them against my cheek.

I had learned something from this women.

Our hands are powerful, we are powerful. And life is like that tiny piece of paper. We must assert ourselves and mold it into what we want, and from there we can achieve anything. To some it may seem like nothing.. just a receipt.. but to others it may be a signal of hope that in life there are endless possibilities.

I've decided that for my baby, I want to make a thousand paper cranes.. and every time she looks at it, she'll see her endless possibilities.

1 comment:

Hi! Thanks for commenting. I love to see feedback, questions, etc. Although the moderation has to be in place I normally review within a few hours. The max is 24. I hope you come back for more musings and share this blog with your friends. Cheers!